Update AWS IAM Roles to Prepare for Upgrade
Periodically, Alert Logic updates the policy documents used for the IAM roles that are required for Amazon Web Services (AWS) deployments. These updates, which Alert Logic announces in Alert Logic Console Release Notes, support new features and ensure your deployments continue to monitor your AWS assets.
Prior to your upgrade to Managed Detection and Response, ensure your deployments use IAM roles created with the most current policy documents.
How to check for an outdated IAM role policy document
If you have AWS Cloud Insight or Cloud Insight Essentials deployments, check the Remediations page in the Alert Logic console for each deployment to ensure your policy documents are current. If you see the High threat level remediation "Update policy document for the associated IAM role" in the list, you must update the policy document for the IAM role associated with the deployment.
Copy the current policy document from the Alert Logic console
If an IAM role policy document needs to be updated, complete this procedure to copy the current one from the Alert Logic console.
To copy the current policy document:
- In the Alert Logic console, browse to the Deployments page, click the relevant deployment tile, and then click AWS Instructions.
- Under Step 2e, click Copy Policy.
Update your IAM role in the AWS console
After you copy the policy document, the last step is to update the IAM role in the AWS console.
To update an IAM role:
- In the AWS IAM Management Console, click Roles.This step specifies that you select Roles instead of Policies in case you set up the IAM role policy with a CloudFormation template. If you used the CloudFormation template, the IAM role policy is an inline policy accessed from Roles only.
- From the list of your roles, click the role you want to update. If you do not know the name of the role, you can find it in the Alert Logic console. Access the deployment, and then click AWS Role in the left navigation area. The role name is the portion of the ARN after the string "role/". For example, if the ARN is “arn:aws:iam::123456789012:role/cloud-insight”, the role name is “cloud-insight”.
- Click the policy you want to update.
- Click Edit policy.
- In the Edit policy window, click the JSON tab.
- Search for AllowDecryptOfCloudTrailKey.
- If it is found in your policy, then you have configured KMS encryption for CloudTrail and MUST copy over the permissions to decrypt the CloudTrail into the updated IAM Role policy document. For example,
"Resource": "[KMS KEY]”
- Paste the updated policy document, which you copied from the Alert Logic console, into the JSON window to replace the old information.
- Click Review policy to verify no errors are detected.
- Click Save changes.
You can also expand the policy listed under the Permissions tab and click the edit button on the right.
Perform this procedure for every IAM role you need to update. You can also contact Alert Logic Support for further guidance or assistance.